Tuesday 17 February 2009

A few musical titbits that caught my eye

So a few interesting stories in the world of music today (and me picking up a guitar and sucking wasn't one of them) that I thought I'd share with you all.

The most exciting was the announcement that FREE (yes, free. As in no additional cost, free) with next week’s NME is a compilation CD full of Cure covers. The track listing looks like this:

'Robert Smith spoken word intro'
Mystery Jets and Esser – 'In Between Days
'Lostprophets – 'Boys Don't Cry'
Marmaduke Duke – 'Friday I'm In Love'
Dinosaur Jnr – 'Just Like Heaven'
The Big Pink – 'Love Song'
Editors – 'Lullaby'
British Sea Power – 'A Forest'
The Dandy Warhols – 'Primary'
The Get Up Kids – 'Close To Me'
The Futureheads – 'The Lovecats'
Art Brut – 'Catch'
Metronomy – 'Fascination Street'
Alkaline Trio – 'Cut Here'
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly – 'In Between Days'

Now, I don't know how you responded, but when I read that, I came close to shooting my load. There are some amazing bands in there, and some who I think will do some really interesting covers. The copy of NME goes on sale on the 25th, and the reminder to pick it up is already in my diary - I suggest all of you hit the newsagents as well!

The second titbit was a few class additions to this years Great Escape in Brighton. For those of you not in the know, it is a 3 day event, where several of Brightons bars get taken over, and a lot of up and coming bands play. Last year, I had the privilege of seeing acts like Pete and the Pirates, The Subways, The Wombats, The Young Knives, Ben Ottewell (one of the two singers from Gomez) and the Ting Tings.

This year is no brush over. Kasabian have now been confirmed to headline the festival, with bands such as British Sea Power, Future of the Left and Cage The Elephant all now confirmed. Sadly, I can't afford to go, but I would encourage those of you into up and coming music check it out (dependant on who falls on what day, I may still hit the Saturday!)

The Festival which seems to be growing year on year is definitely Rock Ness (I think we should all go, and try to spot good ol' Nessy!) who this year have Placebo, Biffy Clyro, Flaming Lips, Dizzy Rascal, the Prodigy, Basement Jaxx and The Wombats confirmed. For a festival that is growing, that's not a bad line up. I'd go, if I didn't anticipate Reading, V and Glasto (my three chosen this year) having most of those acts also.

Anyway, back to attempting to play Everlong.... Badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment